Sunday, January 15, 2012

Nudism: Black folks don’t do that, but I do…



Imagine...It’s a Saturday December morning I’m headed to LaGuardia to catch my flight and I miss it, the consequences of not getting enough sleep. I wait for the next flight to Maine.  Finally, I arrive and a car service comes to take me to a cozy B&B where I am going to have my first nudist experience.  It’s about a 40 minute drive from the airport and the driver, a nice man from Somalia, pulls into the drive way and out comes my beautiful friend Jasmine (yes, we have the same name) and Richard, just as naked as they day they were born.

 The driver then says, “Oh my God, is that real!” 

I laugh hysterically, walk into the house to meet a welcoming community of 7 nudists majority queer women of color and one man, diverse body types, shapes and colors, sitting at the kitchen table preparing our dinner.  That was my welcome into Naturism a non-sexual cultural, social and political space advocating and defending social nudity in private and public.

As a woman who is an outspoken sex positive activist, this experience was appealing to me in many ways.  First, it was non-sexual.  When I’m nude in the company of other’s my mind immediately goes to sex and having it repeatedly until we decide to put clothes on.  This time it was different, my mind and spirit was in a space of needing to be supported and nurtured in a way that brought me closer to being more honest with myself and my body.  When you’re naked you have absolutely nothing to hide and neither do the people you are nude in community with.  It’s an honest and safe community space and for me, deeply spiritual.

My experience in Maine was introduced to me by my goddess sister Jasmine Burems and supported by my now good friend Richard who has been in the Naturist community for over 30 years and found that it was mainly white folks who had the time, resources or access to these opportunities.  Understanding this, he has been providing opportunities in New York City and beyond to those like myself who otherwise would not have the entry point or access.  Given the negative images of women and women of color in particular with our bodies and sexuality this is a unique opportunity to overcome and heal in a space that is loving and supportive. 

 This particular trip was in Maine in December, we had the extremes of the hot and cold.  The B & B had amazing grounds that were secluded where we took nature walks wearing only boots, hats, gloves, scarves and nothing else.  There was also a dry hot sauna, where we warmed up, a hot tub and a warm pool to manage our body temperatures between the hot and cold.  Did I catch “a death of the pneumonia” no I completely detoxed and purified my body in this space.  I meditated in the sauna, used avocado masks and sea salt and grapeseed oil scrubs.  I felt amazing!

This experience was more than about how I felt, I received some Freewrite Expressions from the amazing women I shared in this experience with…


“Prior to arriving in Maine, I was looking forward to the quiet calmness that I knew would envelop me in the woods.  This trip is always an incredible opportunity for me to meet remarkable women and face them unguarded, raw and stripped down both literally and emotionally.  Upon leaving I am warmed with freshly planted seeds of inspiration.  I look around women surrounding me, grumpy about being forced back into our clothes and our everyday reality, but connected by our humbling and compassionate weekend together.” ---Janet

“This weekend was amazing.  I came here nervous not knowing what to expect.  However, all of that went away the moment we all came together.  Everyone was open, the conversations were amazing, and the trip was very relaxing.  After the trip, now I’m really happy to have met these women and network.  I hope to keep in touch with everyone.” ---Tanesha

“When Jasmine (Burems) first described this experience she had worded it to be a great sense of herself coming through her skin.  I trusted her explanation against any interpretation of “weirdness” of this journey.  “Weird” how?  Not really sure, but it would be what everyone else told me.  I had been privately trying to appreciate and learn my femininity; dance in front of the mirror, sleep naked and other strategies.  Now, I am in the presence of beautiful, strong examples of people comfortable with their bodies.  Nudity was never really the issue; it was moments of vulnerability of a social setting, augmented by nudity.  Everyone else’s comfort guided mine.  Extremely lucky to have such a chance to communally savor ourselves. ---Bria

“Of all the places I could have spent my birthday weekend, I chose the Naturist experience in Maine.  One year ago was my first encounter, I expected some vulnerability but completely found myself at peace.  Surrounded by primarily female-bodied individuals.  Casual name introductions turned into long conversations and eventually, on year later, life long friends.  Today as I write this, my sentiments are still the same.  I am thankful to be here and look forward to my return.” --- Kristin

“Its such an honor to be amongst such an amazing group of women.  Jas, you are a wonder! This is my 2nd naturist adventure and my oh my what a piece of peace it was.  Before coming I craved a serene environment.  Somewhere full of insight, laughter and great spirits.  When I arrived full smiles and nude bodies greeted me.  Glorious!  Leaving is never fun but inevitable.  Full, relaxed and ready to face the world! Comfort is a state of mind, self-loving takes time and peace starts within.  These are lessons I continue to learn and teach.  I’m so glad to have a place where I can simply be.” ---Zek

“Being a naturist, I chose to experience my nudity outdoors in natural environments and indoors within communities of diverse people in non sexual environments.  For me, it’s a choice to openly and intimately experience myself in every season.  I openly and intimately embrace all of the elements: air, fire, water, earth.  And I commit to maintaining practices of self-love and self-acceptance through all the seasons of my life.  I chose to have my first naturist experience during a time in my life when I was consciously seeking and exploring personal, spiritual and tangible liberation and freedom.” Jasmine Burems – Honey & Gold – The Goddess Lifestyle

Today, January 15 is my 33rd birthday a deeply spiritual and life-enhancing year.  I decided to write this today because birth is beautiful and we are brought into this life through our wombs and born again in many different ways and forms throughout our life's path.  There is something especially special about the “birthday suit” no airs or assumptions, full of hope and optimism in what can sometimes be a cruel reality.  I am now a proud bonafide nudist and plan to fully participate in the Naturist community.  I have been transformed through this experience and will continue to learn and grow in this intimacy that I share with myself in the community of others who desire to grow and expand in this very short life that we all have.  I am born again…

1 comment:

  1. I just found that place two months ago. Have been 5-6 times since. It may not be FF but hey it's the only place around for a single-married guy. Married but wife not a nudist outside or around others.

    Maybe I'll see you there sometime.

    ReplyDelete